Today I went to my first yoga class. It’s something I’ve been talking about doing for sometime now, but kept putting it on the back burner for whatever reason.
I’m glad that I finally dragged myself to a class to see what it is was all about. Here are a few observations from my first class:
– My flexibility sucks. This wasn’t a major epiphany. I always knew my flexibility wasn’t great, but seeing the other students really hammered it home.
– Lifting heavy weights is a mistake to do before yoga. Earlier today I went through my 3×5 workout including squats, overhead press, and deadlifts. My muscles began cramping up a little during one of the poses. If anything I would suggest doing yoga before heavy lifting, but never afterwards.
– I’ve had a few people tell me how surprised I’ll be by the workout that yoga gives you. They always warned me that it’s going to be a lot tougher than I think. While my first class wasn’t a cakewalk it wasn’t to extreme either. Then again, this was a beginners class and not “hot yoga.”
– There’s a bevy of super feminine and super in shape women who take yoga. On top of that I was the only man in the class. Not a bad ratio. Yoga could be a potential goldmine to meet women.
– It made me incredibly calm. I felt like I was high driving back to my place. It’s no wonder that all the people I meet who do yoga constantly have big smiles plastered on their faces.
Will I go back again? Absolutely. Yoga is something I can see myself doing at least once every week.